“What is the best age to get newborn portraits taken?” This is one of the main questions I get from clients. Typically, I suggest scheduling your newborn portraits when the baby is between 7-14 days old. While there are factors like baby arriving earlier than expected or mom needing extra time for healing, this is the ideal timeframe to aim for. Please know that I will always work with the family on when is best to schedule, however if everything has gone smoothly with delivery and recovery I suggest the 7-14 day timeframe for these 5 reasons:
- Baby is sleepier and easier to position.
- You’ve had time to bond with your newborn.
- Baby’s skin is still clear (don’t worry though if this is not the case).
- Feedings have gotten easier and are a bit more scheduled.
- Your family has been able to figure out a rhythm and has had time to bond with their sibling .
Something to keep in mind is that all newborns sleep and feed differently. Please do not allow this to be a point of stress, as I will happily work with mom and baby on their routine. As many feeding breaks as needed throughout our time together is welcomed.
Did you miss the 7-14 day window of wanting a newborn session? Don’t worry! Send me a quick message and we and talk!