If you’re looking for 5 easy ways to prepare your kids for family photos, you’ve come to the right place.
After you book your family photography session, it’s normal to wonder how you are going to get your kids to cooperate. Getting photos taken may be a new experience for your child. Then throw in a stranger holding a big camera in front of their face and they could be nervous. They’re likely not going to entirely be themselves right away. They may show off more than usual or your extrovert may suddenly become shy.
Rest assured, it’s all okay and totally normal.
Here are my 5 easy ways to prepare your kids for family photos:
- Talk to your kids before about your upcoming session. Talk about who is going to be taking the photos (feel free to show them my photo on my website!), where you are going, what you will be doing and how much fun you will have. If they are old enough, set expectations of how you wish they would behave and what you will be doing with the photos afterwards.
- Before your session be sure to eat and insure everyone’s bellies are full. Full bellies make everyone happy! It is hard to get anyone on board when they are hangry.
- Keep comfort in mind when selecting your child’s clothing. If you wish to stay in a specific color palette give them the option of two different outfits. This way they are having the ultimate decision and will feel more comfortable and confident in their outfit.
- Get a good night’s sleep. When booking your time, think about schedules and the time of day that everyone feels their best.
- Stay positive, go with the flow and have fun! Your kids will pick up on your energy and mirror it back. The more you relax and have fun with things, the more likely your little one(s) (or big one,) is to get on board.
Something I like to remind my clients is that asking your kids to say ‘cheese’ is not a genuine way to get them to smile. It often puts stress on them and makes them want to be done immediately. Instead, I will focus on everyone interacting with one another and getting that genuine smile for those perfect images to hang in your home.
Trust me, follow these 5 easy ways to prepare your kids for family photos and there will be success.
If you haven’t booked your family photos, it’s never too early to connect with me and get on the schedule. The earlier you book, the more availability I will have and you will be able to choose what works best for your family. I look forward to hearing from you!